Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 11:30am to Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 1:00pm Webinar/Teleconference
This program is an introduction into the ICD-10-CM code set and begins with sequencing guidelines. We'll then have plenty of practice accessing the index in finding the codes, noting tabular list instructions, and then on to coding hospice scenarios with attention to improvement in documentation needed to choose the most specific codes to describe the terminal illness and related diagnoses. Conventions, such as ‘with’ may mean more diagnoses are “related.” Attendees will leave with the ability to improve plan of care documentation and query physicians for more descriptive information. This series will provide in-class coding of cases in each chapter of ICD-10-CM – the presenter will assign scenarios for participants to complete between sessions, going over the answers in class. Coders will leave with confidence and enthusiasm for ICD-10 implementation. Attendees must have an ICD-10 coding manual (2017 or 2018) to fully participate in practice scenario activities.
- Describe how the terminal diagnosis and related diagnoses should be identified.
- Identify methods to improve compliance with coding guidelines and describe the patient’s complex medical needs related to the terminal diagnosis.
- Review the ICD-10 guidelines and conventions, including the ‘with’ convention. Identify query methods that will secure more descriptive information from physicians and improve clinical documentation.
- Apply coding guidelines to hospice scenarios coded in ICD-10.
Faculty: Lisa Selman-Holman, JD, BSN, RN, HCS-D, COS-C, HCS-O, HCS-H is a home care veteran with 31 years spent in home health and hospice, both as an RN and as an attorney practicing exclusively in home care. She is the owner of Selman-Holman & Associates, LLC, a full-service home care consulting firm, CodeProU, an online education program, and CoDR-Coding Done Right, a coding outsource and audit company. Lisa is on the Homecare Coding Specialist-Diagnosis (HCS-D), Homecare Coding Specialist—Hospice (HCS-H) and Homecare Coding Specialist-OASIS (HCS-O) national advisory boards for the Board of Medical Specialty Coding and Compliance (BMSCC), and is a BMSCC-approved educator. She is an AHIMA Approved ICD-10-CM/PCS Trainer.
The presenter has declared no conflict of interest for this program and will present fairly and without bias.
Registration Fee: OCHCH member rate for the 3-part series is $395.00 – Prospective members $790.00. Audio recording is available. Indicate if you will be calling into the live webinar or purchasing the audio recording (fee is the same). The live webinar includes the opportunity to ask questions of the presenter. If you desire to purchase both the live webinar and the audio recording, pay the registration fee and an additional $30.
Continuing Education: The presenters and program planners have no conflict of interest in regard to this webinar. RNs and LPNs must participate in the entire presentation in order for contact hours to be awarded. To apply for nursing contact hours, please mail or fax an evaluation form and a $10 processing fee for each individual requesting hours. Additionally, send in a completed sign-in sheet, listing the individuals at your facility that participated and noting those requesting contact hours. Individuals requesting contact hours will receive a certificate of contact hours earned. Approved provider status does not imply endorsement by the provider, ANCC, OBN or ONA of any products displayed in conjunction with an activity.
Ohio Council for Home Care and Hospice is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Ohio Nurses Association, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. (OBN-001-91) (OH -157, 4/1/2019).
- Please note our cancellation policy: If you cancel your registration prior to five business days before the program, you will receive a refund less 25% for administrative costs. All cancellations must be made in writing. No refunds for cancellations or exchanges within five business days of the program. If due to unforeseen circumstances we must cancel this event, registrants will receive a full refund.
- Payments are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes. However, payments may be deductible under other provisions of the IRS.
REGISTRATION FEE PER SITE/PHONE CONNECTION: Registration fees are for one (1) phone connection. For additional sites, please copy this registration form and send in with proper payment amount. Indicate if you will be calling into the live webinar or purchasing the audio recording (fee is the same). The live webinar includes the opportunity to ask questions of the presenter. Contact hours may be earned for listening to the audio recording up to 6 months following the live webinar. If you desire to purchase both the live webinar and the audio recording, pay the registration fee and an additional $30.