Wednesday, September 2, 2015 at 8:00am to Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 4:00pm Workshop
Experience the comprehensive and nationally acclaimed two-day Blueprint for OASIS Accuracy workshop and learn to confidently teach, audit and collect OASIS C1 items accurately. Through guided, expert instruction, and participation in problem-solving discussions and application scenarios, achieve mastery of the OASIS items, conventions, and the latest data collection rules.
Rather than provide opinions, assumptions, or unfounded interpretations, the “Blueprint” presenters will model reliance on CMS guidance documents and provide and demonstrate strategies for how to find defendable answers to your OASIS questions.
OBJECTIVES – DAY 1:
- Describe methods to research answers to OASIS questions;
- Name valuable CMS resources;
- Describe the importance of scoring the OASIS accurately by identifying key CMS applications;
- State OASIS data collection regulations;
- Describe OASIS data collection conventions;
- State who are the required OASIS populations;
- Identify the process measures specific to the OASIS data set;
- Demonstrate accurate scoring of the OASIS Tracking and Clinical Record items utilizing CMS resources;
- Demonstrate accurate scoring of the OASIS Patient History and Diagnoses and Living Arrangement Items utilizing CMS resources;
- Demonstrate accurate scoring of the OASIS Sensory Status and Respiratory Items utilizing CMS resources
- Demonstrate accurate scoring of the OASIS Elimination, Neurological, Emotional Behavioral and Cardiac Items utilizing CMS resources;
- Describe changes planned in OASIS –C1;
- Apply newly learned strategies in an individual exercise.
Objectives – Day 2
- Demonstrate accurate scoring of the OASIS Pressure Ulcer Items utilizing CMS recourse;
- Demonstrate accurate scoring of the OASIS Stasis Ulcer and Surgical Wound Integumentary Items utilizing CMS resources;
- Demonstrate accurate scoring of the OASIS ADL Items Utilizing CMS Resources;
- Demonstrate accurate scoring of the OASIS IADL Items utilizing CMS Resources;
- Demonstrate accurate scoring of the OASIS Medication Items utilizing CMS Resources;
- Demonstrate accurate scoring of the OASIS Care Management Item and Plan of Care Item;
- Demonstrate accurate scoring of the OASIS data collected at Transfer and discharge utilizing CMS resources; and,
- Apply newly learned strategies in an individual exercise.
The Certificate for OASIS Specialist-Clinical (COS-C) Exam is a voluntary certificate examination for those interested in demonstrating and establishing their expertise and commitment to OASIS data accuracy. Administered the day following the Blueprint for OASIS Accuracy training, the scope of the COS-C exam is similar to the Blueprint workshop agenda, covering CMS guidelines related to OASIS time points, regulations, patient populations, and OASIS-C1 item specific scoring. Candidates who successfully pass the examination are awarded the COS-C designation.
The Michigan Association for Home Care (OH-290, 3/01/2016) is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Ohio Nurses Association (OBN-001091)), an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Criteria for Successful Completion:
In order to receive contact hours you must sign in at the beginning of class each day and sign out at the conclusion of the program each day. You must stay for the entire workshop and complete an evaluation form in order to receive your certificate. Late arrivals beyond 30 minutes after the published start time for this education training event will not be eligible to receive the contact certificate. No exceptions!
Commercial Support: There is no commercial support for this event.
Sponsorship: There is no sponsorship for this event
Conflict of Interest: The planners and faculty have declared no conflict of interest.
To register, complete the attached registration form and return it with payment to: Michigan Association for Home Care, 2140 University Park Drive, Suite 220, Okemos, MI 48864. Payment must accompany registration. To receive a refund, Michigan Home Care must be notified in writing of any cancellation 10 business days prior to the workshop date. A $40.00 administrative charge will be assessed to all cancellations. No refunds will be issued after August 23, 2015. This workshop is limited to 90 participants. Registrations will be taken on a first-come bases. Please advise Michigan Home Care in Writing of any substitutes in advance of the workshop.
Blueprint for OASIS Accuracy Workshop
Register Online at homecaremi.org or make checks payable to: Michigan Association for Home Care for the Workshop Only!
Workshop Fee: Received by 8/03/15 Received after 8/03/15
Michigan Home Care Member
Additional Michigan Home Care Member
Member At the door 9/2/2015(space available) $390
Non-Member at the door 9/2/2015 (space available) $780
RN, BS, BCHH-C, COS-C
Rhonda has been in home care since 1979 as direct care provider, intake and utilization staff educator. Since 1999, she has developed and conducted provider training nationally related to OASIS, Coding and regulatory compliance. Rhonda specializes in medical record review to identify OASIS and coding accuracy and to determine compliance with the Medicare Home Health and Hospice benefits. She holds both the Certificate for OAISS Specialist-Clinical (COS-C) and BCHH-C coding designations. She is an AHIMA approved ICD-10-CM Trainer. Rhonda is a Senior Consultant with OASIS Answers, Inc.
RN, MS, hcs-d, COS-C
Annette is a registered nurse, with a Master’s in Health Care Administration, practicing since 1990, with the majority of her nursing experience in home health. For over a decade she worked with the CMS intermediary where she provided review of, and education on home health documentation. Annette then began providing outreach and provider education regarding Medicare reimbursement issues and effective documentation strategies, assisting providers with ADRs and appeals. She presents nationally on OASIS, PPS, documentation and coverage and provides content expertise to the CMS OASIS Q&A Mailbox. Annette holds both the COS-C and the HCS-D certification. She is an AHIMA approved ICD-10-CM Coding Instructor and a Senior Associate Consultant with OASIS Answers, Inc.
Overnight room accommodations can be arranged for the $79.00 per night rate by calling:
2187 University Park Drive
Okemos, MI 48864
Call (517) 347-6690
Ask for the Michigan Association for Home Care $79.00 group rate.
Certificate for OASIS Specialist-Clinical Exam:
Secure a spot by registering at least one week in advance. Onsite exam registration may not be available.
The Certificate for OASIS Specialist-Clinical (COS-C) Exam is a voluntary certificate examination for those interested in demonstrating and establishing their expertise and commitment to OASIS data accuracy. Administered the day following the Blueprint for OASIS Accuracy training, the scope of the COS-C exam is similar to the Blueprint workshop agenda, covering CMS guidelines related to OASIS time points, regulations, patient populations and OASIS item specific scoring.
Candidates who successfully pass the examination are awarded the COS-C designation.
Call OASIS Answers, Inc. at (425) 868.2304 or visit www.oasisanswers.com to learn more or to register for the COS-C examination. Registration form is attached.